Feeling chilled to the bone with this dark and dreary January weather? Looking for a warm pick-me-up? We’ve got just the recipe for you, and it won’t leave you trapped in the kitchen for hours! Another perk- you can make a larger batch and freeze to save for the future!
1 ½ Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium leek or yellow onion, finely chopped
2 medium carrots, peeled and finely chopped
2 medium celery stalks, finely chopped
1 Tbsp. minced fresh rosemary
2 Tbsp. tomato paste
2 large cloves garlic, minced (about 1 Tbsp.)
5 cups chicken broth
2 15 oz. cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
6 oz. (about 1 bunch) kale, center ribs removed, leaves chopped
1 parmesan rind (1-by-3 inches; optional), plus grated parmesan for garnish
3/4 lb. hot bulk Italian sausage, rolled into bite-size meatballs
2-3 Tbsp. cider vinegar, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat 1 Tbsp. of the oil in a 4- to 5-quart pot over medium heat. Add the leek or onion, carrot, celery, rosemary, and a generous couple pinches of salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables begin to soften, ~6 minutes.
2. Add the tomato paste and garlic and cook until fragrant, ~45 seconds.
3. Add the broth, and parmesan rind (if using). Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium/low, and simmer until the vegetables are tender, ~15 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1/2 Tbsp. oil in a 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium-low heat.
5. Add the sausage meatballs, and cook, flipping about halfway through, until browned and cooked through, ~ 10 minutes.
6. Add the kale to the soup; cook 1 minute, then add the meatballs (discarding any of the rendered fat and oil) and the beans; cook for 4 more minutes to meld the flavors.
7. Stir the cider vinegar into the soup and season to taste with salt and pepper.
8. Ladle into bowls and garnish with grated parmesan.
9. ENJOY!Posted January 13, 2017
A STEELE Concierge is available to assist you 9am-5pm Monday through Friday. It’s our pleasure to assist you!